How To Keep Your Ethnicraft Furniture In Perfect Condition
- Use placemats to prevent hot pots, pans and cold glasses or bottles from leaving marks on the furniture.
- Remove any spills immediately to prevent staining.
- When cleaning the surface, always work in the direction of the wood grain.
- Like any natural material, teak will fade slightly when directly exposed to UV light while oak will darken or yellow over time. To prevent colour differences, shield your furniture from direct sunlight and move objects placed on the furniture from time to time.
Caring For Teak Furniture
Our teak collection comes natural, without any finish or protective treatment, allowing the beauty of its grain to take centre stage. The wood is merely polished, which helps its natural oils rise to the surface. Thanks to teak's high density, stains do not penetrate deep into the wood, making it easy to use and maintain.
For daily care
- A little maintenance every day goes a long way in keeping your furniture in pristine condition! Dust your furniture regularly with a dry, non-fluffy cloth.
- To clean it, use a cloth or sponge dampened with a solution of water and natural soap or gentle soap.
- Do not worry about cleaning it too often - frequent cleaning with a natural soap solution will gradually build up a protective layer. In fact, as the wood absorbs the soap, it will become more stain repellent.
For preventive treatment
- Concerned about staining your natural wood furniture? You can consider adding a protective layer. Luckily, we offer complimentary varnishing services for our products, so you can rest easy.
- We use a water-based topcoat which seals the pores of the timber, forming a natural protection between the wood and other substances.
- Even with this preventative treatment, spills should be removed immediately. If the liquid or substance is left to penetrate the wood, the furniture will eventually get stained.
- Take note, though: this treatment may result in a slightly darker finish on your furniture pieces.
For stubborn stains
- Over time and with use, your teak furniture may need a little extra help to look as good as new. All Ethnicraft Online products enjoy complimentary lifetime maintenance, so you can always schedule a session with us to refresh your furniture.
- If you prefer to do it yourself, make sure the surface is dry and clean and then use extra fine sand paper from your local hardware store (minimum 320 grit). Make sure to sand in the direction of the wood grain. Finally, apply a thin layer of Osmo Hardwax Oil, clear mat (3062), which you can purchase from our online store. Let the finish dry for at least a day before using it!
Caring For Oak Furniture
Our furniture is made from oak sourced from well-managed forests in Europe. To make daily care and maintenance as easy as possible, they are finished with a pigmented hardwax oil which forms a natural coating that repells most common substances and fluids.
For daily care
- Use a dry, non-fluffy cloth for regular dusting.
- For cleaning, use a damp sponge or cloth (not too wet) with a mild solution of water and natural soap.
For stubborn stains & repairs
- Over time and with use, the original coating on the furniture may need to be refreshed and renewed. All Ethnicraft Online products enjoy complimentary lifetime maintenance, so you can always schedule a session with us to refresh your furniture.
- If you prefer to do it on your own, here are some easy steps. First, make sure the surface is clean and dry. Next, use extra fine sand paper (minimum 320 grit) and work in the direction of the wood grain. Finally, apply a thin layer of Osmo Hardwax Oil, clear mat (3062). To purchase, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let the surface dry completely for at least a day and you will be all set!
Caring For Upholstered Chairs And Furniture
The fabric of our sofa collections ET and N101 is dry clean only. Using only soap and water or throwing it in your washing machine may lighten the colour or result in uneven discolouration. Furthermore, washing it in the machine, even on a low temperature, may also shrink the fabric.
The upholstery of our teak chairs is made of 100% Belgian linen. It cannot be removed and if stained, can only be treated with dry cleaning products.
Our N501 sofas are made of genuine cow leather. For daily care, we recommend using a clean, dry cloth and vacuum. If needed, you can use a fine damp cloth to wipe down your sofa (the cloth should feel like it is almost dry). Avoid rubbing the leather vigorously or scratching the leather with any sharp objects as this may leave marks.